Tuesday, July 22, 2008

sculpting the lawn


I think she is Huck Finn, or is it
Tom Sawyer? yesterday she told me
she's been sculpting the yard and then
begins to paint in the afternoon.

yesterday before I talked with her on the phone
I bought some whackers, from the dollar store for 7.20
and when I woke up I knew it was the day
to do my own lawn sculpting.

my dad who doesn't live in this world anymore
he is always my consultant on these matters,
he knew how to do things with his hands
no motor, no noise, we began to nip at the
hedge row on the front of my house.

snip and snip, she needed a big haircut and once
in a while the bees or a wasp came to object
but most of the job is done
and I think it was her that bribed my curiosity
I think my pecs are bigger because
I whacked all day
and I didn't pay to go to a gym.

I left for a time this evening- to the library
and grocery store and when I pulled
in the drive, I saw how perfectly pruned my
hedgerow had become
I owe it all to Huck Finn and
his partner, my Dad.

No comments: